Sunday, January 24, 2021

Unable to Terminate Passion

 Song 548: This week on the playlist you’ll find I Can't Stop Loving You by Kitty Wells, written by Don Gibson, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. This marks the second appearance of Ms. Wells on the list - her first hit It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels (Song 406) had quickly become a favorite and a highlight of the summer visits to my Bowling Green, OH, family relatives during my single-digit years. At some point in that era, I also learned Kitty's second chart topper - this tune - and her version remained the only one of this famous masterpiece that I had even heard until well into the 1970s, when I did eventually hear the Elvis one, the Ray Charles one and a few others, so prior to that, I just thought of this gem as belonging to her. They say that time heals a broken heart but for many months now it feels like time has stood still and I can't yet speculate as to when those happy hours that we once knew might return, but for now, I understand why some might want to just live a life in dreams of yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment