Sunday, January 10, 2021

Shining Jewels in a Pile of Dust

 Song 546: This week the playlist puts the spotlight on Diamonds And Rust by Joan Baez, who also wrote the song, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. I decided to add a Joan recording this week when I found out that 1/9/21 (yesterday) marked her 80th birthday. I also realized that I had gotten close to number 550 before her first appearance on the list, so I will need to make up for that negligence by including a few of her other gems in the coming months. I knew a little bit about her during my HS years, but I soon learned a lot more about her contributions after becoming a big fan of Bob Dylan, shortly after I turned 19 and began my second year in college. She played a major role in his story, as he did in hers, both artistically and romantically, and I felt certain, when this title track came along in the spring of 1975, that he inspired the rhymes. Those of us who live in the northeast region know that walking outside during this season, our breath often comes out white clouds, mingles and hangs in the air, sometimes with brown leaves falling around and snow in our hair, but with the current unresolved pandemic question mark hanging over our heads, we can appreciate even more someone so good with words and at keeping things vague because we could use some of that vagueness now.

No comments:

Post a Comment