Sunday, October 18, 2020

Getting Some Special Attention

 Song 534: This week on the playlist you’ll find You Should Have Seen The Way He Looked At Me by The Dixie Cups, written by Ellie Greenwich and Jeff Barry, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. At some point during the 1990s, I saw a clip of The Dixie Cups performing this track, and it immediately got my attention. I hadn't heard it back in 1964 when it came along as a followup to a pair of other well-known singles, and at the time, it barely made the top 40, in contrast to the other two hitting #1 and #12, but on first listen, I felt it deserved a lot more appreciation than what it got following its release. These days, in light of the current pandemic situation, it feels good to remember moments when there was starlight and moonlight and everything was right, since it sure does not seem that way now. On this cut, I also savor the coy lyrical reference to a special day when a person would wear something new, something old and borrowed and something blue - a particular day when both members of a couple would say I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment