Sunday, June 14, 2020

Stay in Touch

Song 516: This week the playlist comes around to Hang On Sloopy by The McCoys, written by Wes Farrell and Bert Berns, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. This hit came along a little over a year before last week's tune Snoopy Vs. the Red Baron. My parents and grandparents did not approve of the Devil's Music, but they actually liked the Snoopy tune, which did have at least one follow-up 45 not long after its release, so when I saw a package of 10 singles with this record on top, I mistakenly told the folks that the front one was another Snoopy disc. Going along with that incorrect info, they allowed me to buy the box, and they soon regretted their decision, but I made extensive enjoyable use of my purchase. Over the next few years, I would often get used singles from my best friend's younger brother, and I would sneak them into the basement, where my turntable and the singles box resided, while the folks continued to believe that my entire 45 collection had come from that one box of 10, and I never did or said anything to lead them to think otherwise. I would play the newer discs a lot, but this one continued to get plenty of spins as well. If the old folks had ever tried to put my Sloopy down, I would have prevented them, because I was truly in love with the record, and 55 years after it hit the charts, it still sounds really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment