Sunday, March 8, 2020

Just a Taste Will Do

Song 502: This week the playlist has on the menu Spoonful by Cream, written by Willie Dixon, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. A few weeks ago, I picked the original Howlin' Wolf version of this tune for Song 498, and I mentioned that the Cream recording of the piece was the first one that grabbed my ears, so now, here it is. Not long after this trio started hitting the airwaves in the middle of my sophomore year at HS, they quickly developed a reputation for doing lengthy instrumental forays at their live shows, and at first I wasn't sure if I liked the idea of an RnR studio jewel flying into the 6 or 7 minute range, even if the band could really cook onstage, but by the time I actually heard this gem a couple of years later, I had come around to truly appreciating tracks that could keep the listener riveted for such an extended span, and I felt this one worked quite well. You could fill spoons full of coffee, you could fill spoons full of tea, but in this case, just a Spoonful of Cream will satisfy my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment