Sunday, December 1, 2019

A Dynamic Force in Full Swing


Song 488: This week the playlist features the sound of Got My Mojo Working by Muddy Waters. There is some dispute over who actually wrote the song, so I won't mention a writer for this one, but you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. When the Beatles rocked my world in the winter of 1964, I had no idea about the history of RnR, and the elements that had contributed to it. Arriving in the Chicago area in the fall of 1969 to start college, my musical horizons greatly expanded, with a Rolling Stone subscription filling in a lot of the details. I soon developed a deep appreciation of the role played by blues musicians like Mr. Morganfield in laying the foundation for the music that had grabbed me in my early teens, and upon learning that he and some other prominent blues makers still hit local stages somewhat regularly, I hoped to experience a live Waters performance, but never managed to get there. I did acquire some vinyl blues classics, though, that got plenty of spins on the turntable, this record being one of them. Just having this cut enliven the current moment is enough to make me feel like I've got my mojo working once again, regardless of who it works on, or doesn't, and it also demonstrates that if you do it the right way, you can Muddy Waters and make things better, not worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment