Sunday, January 13, 2019

The Color Red in Two Very Different Forms


Song 442: The week the playlist features Blood and Fire by the Indigo Girls, written by Amy Ray, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. The Indigo Girls made waves across the folk circles that I frequented in the early 1990s, and their eponymous major-label debut LP (which was actually their second studio album) became a regular spinner on my turntable as soon as I acquired it, though I also learned, from trying to introduce the record to a different bunch of friends in that era, that some of my other pals did not share my enthusiasm for the duo. However, that cool response (which might have had judgmental anti-gay undertones) could not douse the flame that the pair had lit in my own soul, and I sympathized with singer Amy's desire to find someone who can take as much as she could give. Recalling the points in my past where I felt intense,  . . . in need,  . . . in pain, and  . . . in love, I would hope that when she truly had Nothing left to hold, she made it back to her lover's fold.

No comments:

Post a Comment