Sunday, September 10, 2017

Words of Warning

Song 372: This week on the playlist you can hear London Calling by The Clash, written by Joe Strummer and Mick Jones, and you can watch a YouTube video of it here. With Hurricane Irma hitting the coast of FL, threatening nuclear facilities there, this track about the hazards of a nuclear meltdown seems to fit the current moment. My initial impression of the British punk bands was that the press about them made them sound a lot cooler than their actual records did, but when this single came along near the end of 1979, I definitely liked what I heard. I had started to make the anti-nuke rally scene, and in addition, I had written a tune about Three Mile Island called Wind Whistle, but in that long-ago era before azlyrics.com and musixmatch.com, not knowing all of the lines on this cut, I picked up more of an anti-nuclear war message, without realizing that the words could also refer to nuclear power plant troubles. I sincerely hope that A nuclear error does not occur in FL due to Irma (or anything else), but that very possibility should serve as a reminder of the dangers that nuclear power plants can pose, and the fact that everyone will be better off when all such facilities are retired, and that we should not build any more of them. On that note, you can watch a YouTube lyric video of my song Wind Whistle just by clicking on the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment