Sunday, September 7, 2014

Coming Right Out and Saying It

Song 215: Following last week's playlist song about the love of rock and roll, this week's song has the same theme, but actually comes right out and says it -- I Love Rock and Roll by Joan Jett and The Blackhearts, written by Alan Merrill and Jake Hooker. My first thought when I heard this record for the first time on the radio, though, was, "Where are the jukeboxes that only cost a dime for a song?" Of course, the answer was that they were long gone with the mid-'70s, but I soon learned that Joan's record was a cover of a mid-'70s track, which explained where the line "Put another dime in the jukebox, baby" came from. It didn't surprise me to learn that the song was a cover, because the line about the person dancing by the record machine looking to be about 17 sounded to me like a lyric coming more from a male angle than a female one, but that don't matter... 'cause it's all the same. What does matter is that I Love Rock and Roll and so does Joan Jett -- you can tell that she does by the way she sings this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment