Sunday, April 11, 2021

Monetary Influence on Duration

 Song 559: This week on the playlist you can hear If You've Got the Money, I've Got the Time by Lefty Frizzell, written by Lefty Frizzell and Jim Beck, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. During my single-digit years in the 1950s, my family would go see the Ohio relatives every summer, and on those trips I got to hear a bunch of major country hits, thanks to my aunt and uncle having a truly impressive LP collection of classic C&W spinners. This cut rode the airwaves a year before I was born, so on those recurring visits, I quickly learned the gem, to the point where I could soon sing along, and I relished the chance to do so. Of course, growing up in a fundamentalist household, I'd never admit any intentions to dance, drink beer and wine, but as long as I didn't put a magnifying glass on those lines, they got no particular scorn. Also, living in a lightly-patriarchal circle, it did sound a bit strange to have the male expect the female to provide the monetary flow, but I could very well understand the compelling reason to start out tonight and to spread joy, since if you spread it right you have more fun, baby, all the way down the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment