Sunday, January 19, 2020

Still Feeling Connected


Song 495: This week on the playlist you’ll find You Keep Me Hangin' On by The Supremes, written by Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier and Eddie Holland, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Not long after the Vanilla Fudge version of this tune hit the airwaves in the middle of 1968 (Song 361), I got to hear the earlier Supremes rendition, which I also thought sounded pretty good. At the time, I strongly identified with the words of the piece, seeing myself trapped by my attraction to a girl my age who seemed to relish my obsession with her, but who had no interest in any sort of romance with me. A few years later, when I began my record collection, I added a disc that included this cut, and I enjoyed hearing it regularly, though at that point I did not feel the same connection with the lyrics that I had earlier. By then, the one girl had set me free, and I had had a very short affair with someone else who, although we broke up, did wanna be just friends after she set me free, and while seeing her would have broken my heart again, I suspected that we would never actually see each other again, and I was right.


No comments:

Post a Comment