Sunday, November 10, 2019

A Spicy Tasty Treat


Song 485: This week the playlist has on the menu Hot Tamales by The Righteous Brothers, written by Bobby Hatfield, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. This marks the first appearance of The Righteous Brothers on this list. I had seen the duo once on a TV show during my HS years, and I thought they sounded good but they didn't particularly spark my interest. In the early 1970s I got better acquainted with their music as I heard more of it from friends who had their LPs, and at a certain point I picked up on a good deal for a copy of Back to Back, with that deal feeling better the more I played the record. I hadn't heard this cut before I got the 33, but it became a quick favorite once I had added the album to my collection, and a prominent listening high point of every spin BtB took on the turntable. My pleasure in this piece also just happened to coincide with a developing taste for Mexican cuisine, and while I would probably prefer a taco or tortilla, if it sounds as good as these two guys do, then I want some hot tamales too!

No comments:

Post a Comment