Sunday, April 23, 2017

Footwear That Fits

Song 352: This week on the playlist you can find These Boots Are Made for Walkin' by Nancy Sinatra, written by Lee Hazlewood. Frank's daughter took this cut to the top of the charts 51 years ago, in the winter of 1966, and no matter how many times I've heard it, the track always makes me smile. Reviewers in that long-ago era criticized Nancy for not exhibiting the vocal ability that her father conveyed, but what she communicates on this single grabs me in a way that none of Frank's records ever did, and I feel it even stronger when I watch her saucy lip-syncing performance in the song video. Fast-forwarding to the present day, the words here can take on an even stronger punch when pointed at a certain prominent political figure who keeps lyin' when he oughta be truthin', keeps losin' when he oughta not bet, and so on, because what's right is right and he ain’t been right yet. I probably don’t have to name the obvious source of the current glut of trumpery, but he sure has made lots of people feel like it’s time to Start walkin’!

No comments:

Post a Comment