Sunday, March 12, 2017

Time to Give Back

Song 346: Seven weeks after my previous personal friend song post, this week on the playlist you can find The Favor by my friend Terry Kitchen, who also wrote it. On a cold March evening, I once again recall the March weekend 24 years ago when I visited Terry at his Boston area apartment, in the midst of a major blizzard, so it seemed like an appropriate week to post another of his creations. About a year and a half after our shared blizzard experience, as we traded tunes around a campfire at a folk festival, upon hearing my song Curiosity, Terry insisted that I needed to expand the story. Not long after that festival, I followed his advice and added a fourth verse. A few years ago, in exchange for a copy of Who Said What, Terry sent me one of his CDs that included this cut, and it made me feel like it was time for me to return the favor, so to speak. I think the chorus line on this piece is one of the best ever, and when I hear it, I imagine it taking off in many different directions, so I plan to urge him to consider additional lyrical possibilities, although, since he already has a good recorded version, he may not want to do so, but maybe he could be persuaded to put a little time into exploring some other ways the favor can be returned.

No comments:

Post a Comment