Sunday, March 20, 2016

I Recognize That Sound

Song 295: This week on the playlist you can hear the sound of Car Wheels on a Gravel Road by Lucinda Williams, who also wrote the song. My good friend and fellow singer/songwriter John Sonntag introduced me to the music of Lucinda Williams in the fall of 1991 — he played me her debut CD, and I thought it sounded pretty good. When a new LW CD appeared in the summer of 1998 that featured this cut as its title track, I thought it sounded even better, and since adding the disc to my collection, it has taken a spin on my various players many times. I usually enjoy the entire CD, but this track in particular always brings multiple images to mind, making me feel as if I’m taking that car ride along a gravel road, even when I’m actually cruising down some 4-lane blacktop. While a few of the song’s phrases refer specifically to southern scenes, most of the passing sights and sounds could easily find a place in a working-class country view from a northern setting. I know that I heard a lot of these same remarks from my parents and grandparents, though on the first line of the second verse, one of them would have used the word darn instead of damn, with a touch of religious guilt attached, but otherwise, I well remember that low hum of voices in the front seat, and, as someone who often caught the sound of Car Wheels on a Gravel Road while growing up, I can tell you that this cut is exactly what those tires sound like as they’re rolling over those tiny little stones.

No comments:

Post a Comment