Monday, November 16, 2015

Feel It In Your Bones

Song 277: For this week’s playlist track you’ll get Jealous Bone by Patty Loveless, written by Steve Bogard and Rick Giles. In the late ‘80s and early ‘90s, you could often hear Patty Loveless in the mix on the NYC station that played music that at the time they were calling New Country, and I liked a lot of the cuts I heard from her, with this one being a particular favorite. As a songwriter, I never had any great interest in records about jealousy, and I tend to hear jealousy songs as a sign of lazy songwriting. Of the other 276 posts on this list, maybe a half dozen could be considered genuine jealousy tracks, and there might be about a dozen others where jealousy is part of the lyrical picture, along with other factors, so lyrics about jealousy don’t generally get me that excited, but there are a few notable exceptions, such as the Beatles You Can’t Do That, and I include this cut among those notable exceptions as well. Personally, I guess I’d have to say that if I have a jealous bone somewhere in my body, it must not be very big, especially compared to some other people I have known who seem to have a much larger jealous bone that they don’t try to hide in any way. On a side note, this track is a sly reference to the second verse of my own song As Long as Merle is Still Haggard, which begins with the line Should Patty Loveless (?) You can find the As Long as Merle is Still Haggard video here.

No comments:

Post a Comment