Sunday, April 26, 2015

Friends and Strangers

Song 248: Being 7 weeks since my last song post by a personal friend, this week's playlist track is Perfect Stranger by my friend Patti Rothberg, who also wrote the song. I met Patti in the fall of 2003 when she was working on her Double Standards CD, which was her third album-length recording, and in the process of working with her on the EPK for DS, she gave me some VHS performance tapes of her earlier songs, plus her first 2 CDs. I hadn't previously heard any of her earlier music, and I remember that the first time through with one of her VHS tapes, listening casually while in the middle of some other task, I noticed that I was liking every track, and not just kinda liking them, but really liking them, which is quite unusual for me. I followed with the Candelabra Cadabra CD, and well before the final song, I had become a major PR fan, catching clever lines and savoring prime musical moments. Following up with Between the 1 and the 9 just pulled me in even deeper, and this track comes from that collection. If you don't know Patti's music, this song can make a fitting introduction, as a solo performance that showcases her strong voice, her tasty guitar technique and her mastery of the songwriting craft, both lyrically and musically. It features her sweeter side, with some serious reflections, but she can also rock out with the best of 'em -- check out Alternate Universe (Song 87) and Treat Me Like Dirt (Song 17). Both of those cuts also illustrate her understated humor, while this one shows that she's got serious and thoughtful things to say as well. Patti is no longer a stranger to me, but even as she adds to her discography, including her recent Black Widow CD, she still manages to stay perfect to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment