Monday, July 7, 2014

A Cool Song About Winter

Song 206: This week's playlist song is The Winter Song by Jane Byaela, who also wrote the tune. Once again, seven weeks have passed since I last posted a friend's song to this list, so this week's track is also by someone I've known personally. I didn't know Jane as well as some of my other singer/songwriter friends, but she was one of a group that graced the stage of the Sun Mountain Cafe on 4th St. in Manhattan on Tuesday nights, for a series of shows that I helped to plan and produce, back at the turn of the 1990s. Now in the middle of summer, it seemed like a good time to post a song about winter, just to remind everyone of what we're missing here at the moment. This one comes from Jane's 1994 Burning Silver album, and I recommend the entire album, especially for those who like the kind of dark territory that Leonard Cohen covers so well -- Jane's songs will also take you through some similar dark spaces, in a very compelling way, both with her lyrics and her music, and this track is a fine example of what the ride will sound like.

No comments:

Post a Comment