Sunday, August 7, 2022

Dark Sorcery Female

 Song 627: This week the playlist recognizes Black Magic Woman by Santana, written by Peter Green, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. At the end of the summer of 1970, I returned to the Chicago area around the time this noteworthy chart-topper arrived. I had essentially evolved the basics of my own personal singer/songwriter style during the summer months while working as a music teacher at a music and arts summer camp in rural PA, influenced by fellow folkie types like Judy Collins, Leonard Cohen and that new guy James Taylor. As my sophomore year at Northwestern University unfolded, I added a few additional aspects to my creative approach, with the jazz, Hungarian folk and Latin elements of this tune helping to widen my musical perspectives. Understanding the warning in the words here, I guess I can feel glad that, as far as I know, I never had a black magic woman get me so blind I couldn't see her tryin' to make a devil out of me and turning my heart into stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment