Sunday, September 20, 2020

Learning the Wrong Lessons

 Song 530: This week on the playlist you can hear What Did You Learn In School Today? by The Chad Mitchell Trio, written by Tom Paxton, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. When I heard this track for the first time today featured on a podcast, I quickly decided it belonged on this list, and I plan to listen to it a lot more in the near future. This also marks the first appearance of both The Chad Mitchell Trio and Tom Paxton on this list. I had known a few TP songs, like Bottle of Wine (which I intend to add one of these days), but I learned quite a bit more about him today, and it greatly increased my respect for him. Dave Van Ronk said that while Bob Dylan became the most visible standard-bearer of the new song movement that began in the 1960s, he credits Paxton as the one who started the whole thing. Hearing this cut, I can certainly believe that characterization. Trump recently expressed the idea that U.S. public schools propagandize American kids with liberal ideas, but in reality, the lessons that have routinely come their way have a strong militaristic angle. When this record came out in 1964, I was in junior high, and of course I didn't hear it, but I learned that war is not so bad, I learned about the great ones we had had, that we fought in Germany and in France and that someday I might get my chance. In addition, I learned that Washington never told a lie, and I learned that soldiers seldom die. Not only that, but I learned our government must be strong because it’s always right and never wrong, and we can be thankful that our leaders are the finest men, which is why we elect them again and again. These lyrics from 56 years ago resonate more strongly in the present moment than possibly any other tune I could suggest.

No comments:

Post a Comment