Sunday, July 14, 2019

Can’t Make the Grade


Song 468: This week on the playlist you’ll find She's Too Good for Me by Sting, who also wrote the song, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. When Ten Summoner's Tales came along in early 1993, Fields of Gold (Song 112) got a lot of airplay, and rightfully so, I thought. That cut, just by itself, might have convinced me to get a copy of the album, though I also heard some other good stuff from the record before I made the purchase, but I did not hear this track until the first spin on my own player, at which point I knew that disc was money well spent. Later, when I got my iPod, Sting's TST numbered among the handful of albums to adorn its drive, and that have enlivened various journeys where the iPod has accompanied me. This marks the fourth appearance of a TST tune on this list - Something the Boy Said is Song 123, and Saint Augustine in Hell is Song 317. I would bet that most young single guys, if they've chased enough young single women, have found themselves, at least once, in a situation similar to what Sting sings about here - I know I certainly did, and so I understand what it feels like when she don't like the clothes I wear, the way I stare, the tales I tell and the way I smell, but oh, the games we play.

No comments:

Post a Comment