Sunday, May 27, 2018

A Meandering Walk in the Park

Song 409: Seven weeks after my previous personal friend song post, this week’s featured playlist track is Child's Play by my good friend Jeff Larson, who also wrote the song, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. We became buddies soon after watching each other perform at Ghirardelli Square in San Francisco back in 1979. As things developed over the following year or two, we performed a few times together as a duo called Dusty River, and during that era, at some point Jeff gave me cassettes of his music, which I enjoyed spinning on my player. A while back, I started making mP3s from old cassettes, including some JL ones, and I sent him copies of his early work. Doing so, I found out that he had forgotten about some of those tunes, and then, lo and behold, along came a fresh version of Child's Play. I'll admit that at first, I still preferred the original, but it didn't take too many replays for me to truly appreciate the new edition, and having heard it plenty of times in the last few years, I relish it even more. Like him, I have, at least once or twice, found myself in a place where I can't remember, the details fade/Blurry and broken, the promises made, and so I've played the game when it's easier pretending with answers always pending, but I will continue to listen for A whisper of something I've found to be real.

No comments:

Post a Comment