Sunday, August 28, 2016

Knowing Your Own Self Worth

Song 318: This week on the playlist you can hear Wonderful Me by Carol Denney, who also wrote the song. Seven weeks after my last post of a song by a personal friend, this week’s track is by my friend Carol Denney, who, for at least 4 decades, has served as Berkeley, CA’s very own Joni Mitchell, as well as contributing in a strongly-engaged way to the community’s political dialogue. This cut graces her 2009 CD The Riley Boys, and deftly showcases her understated, self-deprecating sense of humor. I have a live recording on cassette of Carol performing this song one night at La Val’s Pizza, back around the turn of the ‘80s, with Shawn Colvin and Nancy Milin adding harmonies, and by the time they finished the performance, the crowd was cheering and laughing loudly at the same time. I do want to express one small criticism of this recording, though — I think it would have added to the humor to follow the line “This way I get more whistling done” with a small bit of whistling, but I can always do that myself when listening to the record, especially if I’m spending a day with myself, since doing so is such a delight

No comments:

Post a Comment