Sunday, February 14, 2016

Valentine’s Day Card

Song 290: Seven weeks after my last personal friend song post, this week on the playlist you can hear I Was a Loner by my friend Monty Delaney, who also wrote the piece. I met Monty one Thursday night at the songwriters’ gathering at Jack Hardy’s apartment on Houston Street in Manhattan. His debut in that circle made a distinct impression, and during the era when I frequented that conclave, I heard him sing a number of memorable tunes, including this one, and also “I Was Not a Victim, I Was a Volunteer” which he performs on the Town Crier live video link (at daveelder.com) after he plays this song. Today being Valentine’s Day, it seemed appropriate to feature Monty’s touching love song for his wife, especially in light of the fact that less than 2 weeks ago, his 4th grandchild arrived. I reconnected with Monty on Facebook a couple of years ago, and I truly appreciate the way that social media platform provides a simple and easy way to locate old friends that I haven’t had any contact with for a decade or longer, and to share some of the ups and downs of their current lives. I offered my congratulations to Monty on the happy occasion of his grandson’s birth, as it adds another layer of meaning to this song that he wrote long ago for the woman who made his family life a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment