Friday, March 28, 2014

A New Song Flying Around the Bay Area

Song 192: Today I posted the song Wings by Wendy Beckerman, who also wrote the song, on the playlist. Every seventh song on the list is one by a friend, and since it was time for another friend's song, today's song is by my friend Wendy Beckerman. She was one of the regulars of the Fast Folk songwriter's group that used to meet once a week in Jack Hardy's Greenwich Village apartment back around the turn of the '90s, at a time when I was also making that Thursday night scene when I could, and I liked a lot of what I heard from her during that era. I also got to play the hero for her one afternoon when she moved into a new apartment. A group had assembled to help her with the move, and I was down on the street level with a couple of other guys, getting stuff off of the truck, when word came down that the couch a couple of other guys had carried all the way up to the 6th floor wouldn't make it around the bend at the apartment entrance. I walked up to check out the situation, since the building didn't have an elevator, and I suggested that if they just stood the couch up on one end, it would fit through the door and down the hall, which it did. The other guys liked not having to carry the couch back down six flights, but they were also surprised that I had reached such a simple solution so quickly. On reflection, it didn't surprise me that none of them had thought of it, because I had already concluded that most of the Fast Folk bunch were sound people, and not visual people, so visualizing alternatives did not come naturally to them the way it does to me. Some of us are visual people, some are sound people, and some are kinetic (touching) people, as a scientist I once heard on the radio explained it, so that afternoon, having one visual person on a crew saved the day for Wendy and her couch. These days she lives in the San Francisco Bay Area, where I lived back in the '80s, and I hadn't heard much of her recent music, but then a couple of newer Wendy Beckerman songs showed up on YouTube a few weeks ago, and I really like both of them. I'll have to hear this one a few more times before I get all the lyrics down, but only hearing it a few times, I really like the sound of the melody and the chords, and the lyrics sound intriguing -- I really think I'm going to like the lines when I figure them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment