Sunday, August 12, 2018

That Uncontrollable Emotional Attachment

Song 420: This week on the playlist you’ll find I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You) by Hank Williams, who also wrote the song, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. The Ohio relatives' extensive country music collection introduced me to Hank, as well as other classic artists of the 1950s and 1960s, and I found Mr. Williams quite impressive. At some point in the 1960s, I watched a move about Hank on TV, and that film contains a very entertaining story about him writing this song in a record company executive's office during the man's lunch break. It makes for a fun tale, and a memorable movie scene, but I would bet the flick writers spun it out of whole cloth. However mundane the tune's actual genesis might have been, though, in contrast to its theatrical promotion, the piece itself still stands out as one of Hank's best. Whenever I hear it, a picture from the past comes slowly stealing, giving me that old time feeling, and I Can't Help It (If I Still Love this one).

No comments:

Post a Comment