Sunday, July 22, 2018

How the Small Stuff Can Add Up

Song 417: This week on the playlist you can hear Little Things by Bush, written by Gavin Rossdale, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title.  Bush first got my attention when Everything Zen (Song 89) made a big noise on the airwaves in the winter of 1995, and soon enough, after hearing a couple of other tracks from the album, I added Sixteen Stone to my collection. This cut from the record vividly portrays, in both music and words, the all-too-common life experience of small annoyances quickly adding up to much greater difficulties and defying attempts at resolution, along with the feeling of being pulled strongly in 2 polar opposite directions. Like songwriter Rossdale, I too can claim a talent that might make me best at forget, but his word play on the lines Here comes a lie/We will always be true never fails to make me smile. I would guess, though, that Gavin is probably not Loaded on wrong when he suggests Going up when coming down/Scratch away - that might actually be good advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment