Sunday, April 22, 2018

A Well-Grounded Self-Portrait

Song 404: This week on the playlist you can find Face of the Earth by Days of the New, written by Travis Meeks. During the later stretch of the 1990s, I often listened to Howard Stern, and in addition to hearing him say plenty of entertaining things, plus a sizable share of truly crazy stuff, I also caught some intriguing new music. When Days of the New appeared in the middle of 1997, it impressed me every bit as much as it did him. I especially savored the way the band managed to generate a genuine hard rock sound via acoustic guitar and strong vocals. Most rockers, myself included, usually reach for an electric guitar and/or an electric keyboard when seeking to produce a hard rock sound, but the band Days of the New proved that, in the right hands, an acoustic guitar can rock just as hard as an electric one. Being an earth sign myself, I take pleasure in sprinkling my own lyrics with mentions of dust, stones, etc. (for example, my song Just a Stone),  and I relish it when others do too (such as Taurus Patti Rothberg on Treat Me Like Dirt, which is Song 17 on this list), so when Taurus Travis Meeks sings, I am the ground and the dirt/Walk on me/Face of the Earth, it resonates strongly in my domain. FWIW, Travis turns 39 on Friday, so HB, TM!

No comments:

Post a Comment