Sunday, December 31, 2017

A Song With a Muscular Subject

Song 388: The Butt Song by The Fast Folk Ensemble, written by John Gorka, seems like a fun way to start out the new year, featuring a live ensemble from 25 years ago. 7 weeks after my last personal friend song post, the performers here include some old friends, 3 of whom - vocalists Wendy Beckerman, Kelly Flint and Richard Julian - have appeared on this list before. I played a role in Fast Folk during this era, though I didn't actually make this particular show in February of 1993, but my name appears on the masthead (under GENERAL STAFF) of the FF 702 print issue that accompanied the CD, as does the moniker of my recording partner David Seitz (under RECORDING ENGINEERS). A friend had told me a few years earlier about watching the writer John Gorka perform this opus, and in describing the lyrics a certain way, he conveyed a sense that the piece didn't impress him, but I suspected that I would like it, and when I got to hear it, within moments it had me smiling. I also found it particularly inspiring because it didn't actually go the way I had pictured from my friend's description, so I ended up crafting the jewel that would eventually shine on The But Single CD a few years later (and my website daveelder.com contains some hidden gems in the form of newsletters about that record, on the Stuff page). If you're curious, you can find the video for my But But But recording by clicking on the title. David Hamburger, who played pedal steel guitar with the Fast Folk Ensemble on The Butt Song, later added his golden tones to As Long as Merle is Still Haggard and you can likewise hear that by clicking on the title. Happy New Year! May the wisdom of 25 years ago bring you a smile today: “Some butts wind up as presidents who wish they could be kings.” Enjoy! Laughter is the best remedy!

No comments:

Post a Comment