Sunday, November 12, 2017

Helping Each Other

Song 381: Seven weeks after my last personal friend song post, this week on the playlist you can hear Life is Hard Enough by my good friend Terry Kitchen, who also wrote the song, and you can find a YouTube video of it here. The video features a live performance of a cut from his 2006 CD Heaven Here on Earth, and I will admit that I don't recall hearing it before today. Terry sent me a message about a new YT video where he covers an old favorite called Nature's Way (originally done by Spirit, and sure to be featured on this playlist one day soon). After enjoying that video, I clicked on the link to this one, and I really liked what I heard. While the song has been around for over a decade, it seems to fit the present moment quite well. The currently-ascendent conservative political narrative emphasizes selfishness, competitiveness, and a supposedly-innate war-like characteristic of our species, but a more scientific analysis of human nature and history comes to a completely opposite conclusion that humans largely have succeeded through cooperation, or, as Terry would put it, We are all strong enough to help each other through. Today you might need me, tomorrow I'll need you.

No comments:

Post a Comment