Sunday, January 22, 2017

What It’s All About

Song 339: Seven weeks after my last song post by a personal friend, this week on the playlist you can hear All About Love by my friend Wendy Beckerman, who also wrote the song, and whose name partly rhymes with the artist on last week’s cut, Randy Newman. I knew Wendy from the weekly songwriter gathering at Jack Hardy’s place in lower Manhattan back in late ‘80s and early ‘90s, and she was always one of my favorites of the bunch. I still remember the night when she performed this song, and she had me hooked the first time through. I thought many of the songwriters in that room didn’t know or care much about crafting a compelling musical setting for their lyrics, and Jack often quoted Woody’s line that “anyone using more than three chords was just showing off” but Wendy stood out from the crowd in her melodic approach, which I admired and appreciated. Having been a part of that Fast Folk circle, I might know one or two of the secrets Wendy gave away that she hints at in the chorus line, but those secrets are safe with me — all I’ll say is that when she sings “It’s all about love” she’s telling the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment