Sunday, January 8, 2017

Smell and Taste

Song 337: This week on the playlist you can get into Incense and Peppermints by Strawberry Alarm Clock, written by John S. Carter and Tim Gilbert. As the summer of ’67 unfolded, the world of RnR seemed to start revolving in a very different direction, with the Beatles turning into a Lonely Hearts Club Band while a bunch of fresh faces such as the Doors and Jimi took the stage, and during that stretch, the phrase psychedelic rock starting popping up quite a bit, with this 45 acting as a prime example. I brought home a copy of the single when my best friend’s younger brother decided he didn’t want it any more, and the disc would spend a lot of time spinning on my turntable over the next 2 years. In that long-ago era before AZLyrics and similar resources, I could only guess at some of the words on this cut, and evidently I guessed wrong on many of them, but even back then I did understand that life would bring with it many things I can’t define. I mistook the line beatniks and politics for beatniks in politics, but either way, I clearly got the word that nothing is new, though that word came to me through a recording that did sound very new to my ears. Such a realization may illustrate just one point of view, but it also might make you wonder who cares what games we choose? Indeed, upon reflection, it wouldn’t matter to anyone who has little to win, but nothin’ to lose, so the best course of action under most circumstances would probably be to turn on, turn in, turn your eyes around.

No comments:

Post a Comment