Sunday, May 22, 2016

Can’t See Her Clearly From Here

Song 304: Seven weeks after my last personal friend song post, this week on the playlist you can hear A Faraway Girl by my friend Jeff Larson, who also wrote the song. I can make a claim to having inspired the original version of this piece, as Jeff watched me struggle with an obsession over a woman who did not have similar feelings about me. He and I would often get together to trade riffs and share our most recent writings, and in the process of doing so, he heard several new compositions I wrote about this woman, and some of the details in between the lines. His first rendition of this cut basically just stitched together his observations of my vain and seemingly-endless efforts to get closer to A Faraway Girl. After wasting way too much time trying to reach the unreachable star, I eventually gave up the fool’s quest, and over the intervening decades, Jeff’s tune evolved in a bit of a different direction, perhaps picking up pieces of his own experiences along the way. Incidentally, among the songs that I wrote for A Faraway Girl back in the early ‘80s is one from Who Said What that I posted a lyric video of in late April, called Song of the Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment