Sunday, October 5, 2014

The Drummer Said I Needed to Hear This One

Song 219: Today I posted Feed the Tree by Belly, written by Tanya Donelly, as this week's playlist song. The home page of my website, daveelder.com, has a link to a YouTube video of the tune. While a lot of videos from this era, a couple of decades ago, don't move my meter very much, this one managed to hold my interest for the duration of the track, due to some very skillful editing, even though most of the imagery just shows the band appropriately performing the tune in a forest. Apparently it got plenty of attention when it appeared in early 1993, becoming a smash buzz bin MTV hit and garnering a nomination for Best Alternative Video VMA. I didn't watch MTV at the time, or ever, really, so I heard about this song from my drummer friend John Paul Wasicko, around the time when we began talking about maybe playing some music together, which we would start doing not long after (J.P. played drums on my Country Drivin' CD). I liked not only J.P.'s style of drumming, but also his taste in music, with this song, and the album Star, being a prime example. He told me he was really excited about this new song, along with the rest of the CD, and that I needed to hear it. After he put the CD on, playing this track, it didn't take long for me to feel the buzz, and I had a feeling that I'd probably like the rest of the record as much as he did. I also had a feeling at that moment that soon enough he and I would play some good music together, which I think we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment